I-STIR'S patented friction stir welding equipment produces welds by rotating a non-consumable tool to locally soften a work piece, through heat produced by friction and plastic work, thereby allowing the tool to stir the joint surfaces. FSW has significant strength, quality and weight advantages over conventional joining techniques because it welds just below the melting point.
Friction stir welding has a number of advantages over other methods of welding:
- Good mechanical properties in the as-welded condition
- Improved safety due to the absence of toxic fumes or spatter of molten material
- No consumables (no filler gas shield)
- Process is easily automated
- Lower set up costs
- Less training
- Can easily weld joint geometries and complex curvatures
- Minimal distortion of joined parts due to welding below the melting point
- Low environmental impact
Friction stir welding is considered a green technology because of its environmental friendliness and energy efficiency. Unlike standard fusion welding, friction stir welding uses virtually no consumables and generates no harmful fumes. This is because the welding process does not require any filler metal or shielding gas, so no harmful emissions are created.